Beef stew can be both hearty and healthy. The resveratrol in red wine can help reduce inflammation in the body, while the reduced-sodium beef broth is a heart-healthy choice for this savory dish. This red-meat stew is packed with rich, savory flavors that work as meals for lunch or dinner. If you do not have a pressure cooker, you can cook this stew on low for eight hours.
Prep time: 45 minutes*
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ lb. cubed beef
- ⅓ onion, peeled & chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. red wine
- 1 Tbs. red wine vinegar*
- ¼ cup fat-free reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 tsp. Tomato paste
- ¼ tsp. dried rosemary
- ¼ tsp. dried oregano
- 2 whole black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ⅛ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 (14 oz.) can whole plum tomatoes, undrained and quartered
- ½ cup diced potato
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- Salt to taste (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a 5-quart pressure cooker over medium-high heat.
- Add Half the beef; cook and stir until browned on all sides
- Remove beef with a slotted spoon and set aside
- Brown the remaining meat and set aside
- Place chopped onion in the pressure cooker; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add the garlic and stir for an additional minute
- Pour in the red wine, red wine vinegar and beef broth; stir in the tomato paste and mix well.
- Grind or crush rosemary, oregano and peppercorns in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder. Add crushed spices to the cooked with the bay leaf, cumin, cinnamon, cloves and black pepper.
- Pour in tomatoes and their juice; rinse the can with ½ cup water and add the water to the cooker.
- Stir in potatoes and carrots
- Returned browned meat to the pressure cooker.
- A 5-quart pot should be about quarter full and a little soupy; the potato will dissolve a bit and thicken after cooking. Cover the pot and seal the lid.
- Bring the pot up to high pressure over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low, maintaining full pressure, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let the pressure reduce naturally.
- Taste the stew and add salt, if desired.
Note: Cook time extended to 8 hours without pressure cooker. Spectrum organic red wine vinegar and Colavita red wine vinegar are good options to purchase.