Since bronchiectasis is a nonreversible condition with no cure, treatment options center on relieving symptoms while slowing down the progression of lung damage and inflammation. This condition occurs when the lining of the airways in the lungs, or bronchial tubes, becomes thick and less elastic. The result is that mucus can start to build up in these passages, inhibiting breathing and causing symptoms like coughing, shortness of breath and fatigue.
Starting With Lifestyle Choices to Promote Lung Health
If you’ve been diagnosed with bronchiectasis, it’s important to do everything you can to improve your overall health and limit your exposure to any toxins or irritants that can further damage your lungs. Smokers are strongly encouraged to begin a smoking cessation program. Workers who are exposed to fumes, chemicals or dust on a regular basis should try to find other duties or work if at all possible.
Eating a healthy diet with anti-inflammatory foods and getting regular exercise are also very important to improving lung health.
Common Treatment Options for Bronchiectasis
There are several methods of treatment that can help patients relieve symptoms of bronchiectasis to improve quality of life and overall activity level. These include:
- Medication — Doctors may recommend a broad range of medications, including steroids, expectorants, decongestants, bronchodilators and antibiotics to help improve breathing and relieve coughing and discomfort.
- Oxygen Therapy — This therapy uses supplemental oxygen delivered from a tank to improve breathing, especially during strenuous activities or to help with sleep.
- Pulmonary Therapy — Also sometimes referred to as chest physiotherapy, this mode of treatment uses breathing exercises and other techniques to help patients increase the amount of air and oxygen they are taking into their lungs.
With continuing advances in medical research and science, a growing number of patients are also turning to regenerative therapies for the treatment of lung conditions such as bronchiectasis.
Lung Health Institute Treatment Options
By specializing exclusively in regenerative treatments for progressive lung conditions, Lung Health Institute has become a world-recognized leader in this exciting field. We can help patients get back to the quality of life they deserve by restoring lung function through the following treatment methods:
- Cellular therapy — We use a sample of the patient’s own blood to help restore natural lung function and relieve symptoms of a broad range of lung conditions, including bronchiectasis.
- Anti-Inflammatory Initiative™ (AI²™) — These are expertly designed, highly personalized wellness plans that use your own body to relieve symptoms and increase your energy levels.
Take the next step to find relief. Contact one of our patient coordinators today for more information or to schedule a free consultation.