The official blog of the Lung Institute.
The Lung Institute’s remarkable stem cell therapy that treats chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is now available throughout the United States. Do you want to be active again? Do you want to enjoy the simple things in life again?
More than 30 million Americans suffer from COPD and more than half don’t even know they have it. It is the third leading cause of death in the United States.
Don’t ignore the symptoms!
- Shortness of breath
- Chronic coughing
Our treatments are simple and performed on an outpatient basis. More than 84 percent of our patients report an improved quality of life three months after treatment. More than 95 percent of our patients report a positive experience.
This is not another drug. It’s a treatment!
We use your body’s very own stem cells, separate them from your blood or bone marrow, return them to your body where they enter the lungs and begin natural healing and inflammation reduction.
What are stem cells?
Stem cells are the building blocks of life – essential to every organism. They self-renew, transform and replicate with the ability to form any type of tissue in the body.
We do not create stem cells, they are already in your body.
We use your own stem cells to promote healing from within your lungs, help reduce inflammation and slow disease progression.
The science behind stem cell therapy is that they are versatile and can transform into any other type of cell in the body.
How do stem cells treat my COPD?
When a substance, such as medication, blood or stem cells, is introduced to the body through an IV, it is carried in the bloodstream directly to the right side of the heart. Within a heartbeat or two, the heart pushes it directly into the lungs. The circulatory system then distributes the substance throughout the body.
While medications or blood leave the lungs and travel throughout the body, a majority of the stem cells become trapped (this is a good thing) in the lungs rather than dispersing throughout the body via the bloodstream. Once trapped, they aggregate (merge together) and they can then begin the natural healing and inflammation reduction.
Why not just take traditional medicine?
Traditional COPD treatments include medications, such as inhalers and corticosteroids, as well as oxygen therapy and pulmonary rehabilitation. Bronchodilators (inhalers) help open and relax tightened airways while corticosteroids (pills) reduce inflammation. Antibiotics can address flare-ups and infections. Oxygen therapy helps people with low blood oxygen levels receive enough oxygen. Pulmonary rehabilitation is a program designed to help people with COPD learn how to function at the highest level possible.
While these treatment options help manage COPD symptoms, they do not address the disease at its source. The Lung Institute’s stem cell treatment helps manage the symptoms AND address its progression, and it works to promote healing from within the lungs.
What’s the treatment like?
At the Lung Institute, we offer stem cell treatment for many major pulmonary conditions, including COPD, emphysema, chronic bronchitis, pulmonary fibrosis and interstitial lung disease. The treatments can be added to a traditional treatment plan.
The bone marrow procedure is a two-part procedure, combining both the bone marrow and venous treatments. Bone marrow has both hematopoietic (blood) stem cells and mesenchymal (transformative) stem cells. For people looking for an alternative to the bone marrow procedure, the venous treatment is purely blood-derived and specializes in hematopoietic stem cells. All of the stem cell treatments at the Lung Institute are outpatient and minimally invasive.
This is how we do it…
Step 1) We withdraw blood or a bone marrow sample.
Step 2) We separate your stem cells from your blood or bone marrow.
Step 3) We immediately reintroduce the stem cells back into your body where they come to rest inside the lungs promoting both natural healing and inflammation reduction.
We hope this information is helpful for you. You need to treat COPD as soon as possible because recent research notes that lung function declines much more rapidly and earlier than previously thought.
If you or a loved one suffers from a chronic disease like COPD, pulmonary fibrosis or other lung diseases, the Lung Institute may be able to help with a variety of adult stem cell treatment options. Contact us today by filling out this form. One of our patient coordinators will contact you shortly. Don’t pass up this chance to find out what stem cell therapy could mean for you.
The Lung Institute is the leading medical provider of regenerative cellular therapy for lung diseases, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), pulmonary fibrosis and interstitial lung disease, in the United States. In 2013, the Lung Institute in Tampa, Fla. opened. Now, the Lung Institute operates clinics in Tampa, Fla., Nashville, Tenn., Scottsdale, Ariz., Pittsburgh, Pa, and Dallas, Texas.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Does it work?
- While our treatments have shown to improve many patients’ quality of life at all stages of lung disease, our patients’ results have shown to be most effective the earlier treatment is begun. More than 84 percent report a better quality of life within three months of treatment. While our treatment is not a cure, it has shown to significantly slow down and potentially even halt the progression of COPD and other lung diseases in many cases.
- Are there any adverse effects?
- Because we use your stem cells, the risk of rejection or side effects is very minimal and nearly nonexistent.
- Is it FDA approved?
- Our stem cell therapy does not need to be FDA approved because it is not a drug. But, we do operate in compliance with the FDA 1271 regulation exemption 1 which allows for same day medical procedures involving stem cells and HCT/Ps (Human Cells, Tissues, & Cellular and Tissue Based Products) to be considered the practice of medicine.
- How much does it cost?
- Treatment cost varies depending on treatment type. We understand that each patient is unique and has individual needs. Because of that, we make sure to go over the patient’s history and our treatment options in detail with each patient.
- Is it covered by insurance/Medicaid?
- Unfortunately, at this time, insurance companies don’t cover treatment. We’re hopeful treatment will be covered by insurance companies in the near future. It will take some time before insurance companies see a financial benefit in their favor and decide to cover it. In the meantime, you can learn more about stem cell treatment options and have your questions answered by one of our patient coordinators.
- Is there a payment plan?
- Our patient coordinators will gladly work with you to set up a reasonable payment plan.
- Why choose the Lung Institute?
- Our physicians have gained worldwide recognition for the successful application of revolutionary cell therapies. Our doctors have perfected a treatment protocol focused on safety and quality of care. At our state-of-the-art facilities, we offer unobtrusive, outpatient procedures to improve our patients’ quality of life by helping them breathe more easily.
Interested in our article on COPD Sufferers, Get the Stem Cell Treatment Basics from the Lung Institute, Share your thoughts and comments below.
Watch the new Lung Institute COPD television commercial.