When you are looking for a healthy and delicious fish to serve, halibut may not be the first one that comes to mind. But this mild, white flatfish is packed full of lean protein, heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids and abundant vitamins and minerals. Halibut contains nutrients like omega-3 fatty acids, niacin and selenium that help reduce levels of chronic inflammation in the body. Omega-3 fatty acids also promote heart health and increase “good” HDL cholesterol. Thyme, oregano and parsley add an antioxidant-rich burst of flavor to this grilled fish recipe.
If you can, use fresh herbs instead of dried ones. Fresh herbs will season halibut well without overwhelming its mild flavor.
PREP TIME | 10 minutes
SERVINGS | 2
Macros Per Serving
Protein: 33 grams
Fat: 31 grams
Carbs: 7 grams
- ¼ cup chopped fresh thyme
- ¼ cup chopped fresh oregano
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Cayenne pepper
- Salt and black pepper
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 2 (5 ounces) halibut steaks (about ¾ inch thick)
- 14 asparagus spears
- 1 lemon
- Preheat and oil the grill, or preheat a stovetop grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Combine the thyme, oregano and parsley in a shallow bowl. Add in the cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper to taste. Toss the mixture to blend well.
- Using a pastry brush, generously brush both sides of the halibut steaks with half the coconut oil.
- Press both sides of the halibut steaks into the herb mixture. Cover both sides of each steak thoroughly with the herbs.
- Coat the asparagus with the remaining coconut oil.
- Place the steaks and asparagus spears on the preheated grill or stovetop grill pan.
- Grill — turning once — until the fish is just barely cooked through and the asparagus is cooked to your desired consistency (about 12 minutes).
- Remove from heat, sprinkle each steak with juice from ½ the lemon and serve.
Herb-Grilled Halibut is one of the many healthy and flavorful recipes included in Lung Health Institute’s Anti-Inflammatory Initiative™ (AI²™) wellness plans. If you are interested in learning more about one of our 3 wellness plans, which are personalized for people with chronic lung conditions, contact one of our patient coordinators today.