There are so many medical devices out there today that it can be difficult to know where to invest your money for maximum benefits. Having the right tools can make all the difference when battling a lung disease like chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), pulmonary fibrosis or interstitial lung disease. Here is a list of five great accessories worth your time, and even better they are all under $100.
- Contec CMS50F Wrist Pulse Oximeter: Keep an eye on your oxygen saturation levels with this handy wrist pulse oximeter. Readings are taken through your finger like a typical oximeter. However, the wrist strap makes it convenient to keep with you at all times. Essential for anyone exercising with COPD, this wrist pulse oximeter will even tell the time.
- The Complete Guide to Understanding and Living with COPD: From a COPDer’s Perspective: Authored by R. D. Martin, this writer has lived with COPD for over two decades. Filled with the knowledge and experience of someone who has lived with lung disease for a quarter of a century, many of those with COPD find to be a great resource for any questions that they may have.
- Medical Alert Bracelet: A medical alert bracelet is an essential piece of jewelry for anyone with a serious medical condition. In the event you are not able to communicate with first responders in an emergency, the bracelet provides critical information about your lung condition or other pertinent health information such as allergies. While some fancy bracelets can be very expensive, stainless steel bracelets can be found for under $30.
- Mabis DMI Breathbooster Breathing Exerciser: Exercise your lungs with this small portable device that can help boost respiratory performance and increase lung capacity which in turn can help reduce shortness of breath. Recommended use with this breathing exerciser is for two minutes, twice a day.
- PiKo-6 Electronic Lung Health Meter: Blow into this lung health meter to monitor lung condition. Great for sufferers of COPD, asthma and cystic fibrosis, the lung health meter’s small size makes it convenient to keep with you at all times.
These are certainly not the only tools that may help sufferers of lung disease. Comment below about any tools that you think should have been included on this list, or if any of these devices have helped with managing your symptoms. Monitoring your symptoms is vital to managing flare-ups and being proactive with your lung health.
While investing in these tools for your lung health may be a good idea, the Lung Health Institute is here to help patients with new and innovative treatments. Many patients have experienced a reduction in symptoms after receiving lung restoration treatment from the Lung Health Institute.
If you or a loved one suffers from COPD, contact one of our staff today to set up your initial appointment to see if you are a good candidate for lung restoration treatment or one of our wellness plans.