The official blog of the Lung Institute.
Tampa, Fla. (September 26, 2013) – In honor of Healthy Lung Month, each week in October, the Lung Institute will release a variety of health-related articles educating people and their loved ones about living with lung disease. This initiative is meant to raise awareness about the rapid escalation of lung disease in the United States, and some lifestyle choices those living with lung disease can make to reduce their symptoms.
Some of the topics the Lung Institute will be giving advice on during the Healthy Lung Month include:
- Lifestyle choices to keep lungs healthy
- Keeping a clean home
- Healthy lung diet
- Exercises to maximize lung health
- Lung screening
Here are a few facts to raise awareness of lung disease and available treatment options:
- “Lung disease” refers to many disorders including chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), pulmonary fibrosis, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, interstitial lung disease, asthma, lung cancer and infections such as influenza, pneumonia and tuberculosis, among many other breathing problems.
- COPD is the third leading cause of death in the U.S. with more than 11 million diagnosed and an estimated 24 million undiagnosed.
- Women are more vulnerable to lung damage from cigarette smoke and other pollutants.
- 85 to 90 percent of COPD cases are caused by smoking, but nonsmokers can get COPD too.
- Pulmonary fibrosis causes scarring in the lungs.
- Around 140,000 Americans have been diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis.
About Lung Institute
The Lung Institute is a leading medical provider of regenerative cellular therapy for lung diseases such as COPD, pulmonary fibrosis and interstitial lung disease. Founded in 2013 in Tampa, Fla., the Lung Institute currently operates clinics in Tampa, Fla., Nashville, Tenn., Scottsdale, Ariz., Pittsburgh, Pa. and Dallas, Texas. For more information, please visit www.lunginstitute.com or call 888-745-6697.