Emphysema can have a devastating impact on your quality of life. The shortness of breath and lack of energy can make it difficult to spend time with your family, perform basic job functions or even go to the store or work in the yard. What’s more, the feeling of hopelessness can lead to mental health problems like depression and anxiety that can further erode your well-being.
Fortunately, there is a full spectrum of effective treatment options that help many people dealing with emphysema enjoy an active life with the people they love. It’s important to stay positive and engaged as you work through the treatment process and find the right combination of therapies for you.
Healthy Lifestyle Choices for Emphysema Relief
In most cases, emphysema is a smoking-related illness. Patients who have not yet quit smoking should begin following a smoking cessation plan. If environmental factors are to blame, such as air pollution or work-related fumes, patients will be recommended to move to a new location or work in improved conditions if at all possible.
Patients should also take necessary steps to improve their overall health and wellness. This can include eating a healthier diet, getting more exercise and reducing alcohol intake.
Common Emphysema Treatment Options
There are also many medicinal and therapeutic treatments that a doctor can prescribe to help reduce emphysema symptoms and improve lung function. These include:
- Oxygen therapy
- Pulmonary rehabilitation through breathing techniques and special exercises
- Steroid medications, either administered orally or with an inhaler
- Bronchodilators, to open up breathing passages
- Antibiotics, in cases of respiratory infection
- Lung surgery, in rare instances
Another option is the innovative regenerative cellular therapy provided by Lung Health Institute.
Treatment Options from Lung Health Institute
At Lung Health Institute, we’re excited to be leaders in the innovative field of regenerative therapy. We offer the following treatment options to help patients find relief from emphysema:
- Cellular therapy — In this form of treatment, a sample of the patient’s blood is taken and the cells are separated and isolated. Concentrated cells, or platelet-rich plasma- platelet concentrate (PRP-PC), are then returned into the bloodstream. Cellular therapy can potentially repair damaged tissue and reduce inflammation in the lungs.
Anti-Inflammatory Initiative™ (AI2™)
With our proprietary AI² plans, we offer personalized programs that help patients overcome emphysema and other lung conditions through anti-inflammatory nutrition and other therapeutic techniques.
Take the next step to find relief. Contact one of our patient coordinators today for more information or to schedule a free consultation.