More and more people are being diagnosed with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) every year. This chronic lung condition is progressive and currently incurable. However, there are steps COPD patients can take to slow the progression of the disease and improve their quality of life.
COPD Patients Can Slow the Progression of Their Symptoms with These 3 Tips
Some COPD patients may believe that they can’t get better after being diagnosed with this chronic lung disease. However, there are some factors that may slow the progression of your COPD symptoms.
- Catch COPD Early — COPD patients are placed into 4 stages depending primarily on the severity of their symptoms, how symptoms affect their quality of life and how low or high their lung function is. Unfortunately, many patients aren’t aware they have COPD until they’re at stage 2 or higher. This is because people may mistake COPD symptoms for side effects of smoking or general aging. To increase the chances of catching COPD in stage 1, certain people should have regular lung checkups to look for COPD:
- People with a history of lung problems
- People who are or have been smokers
- People whose family members have had a chronic lung disease
- Follow Prescribed Treatments Closely — COPD patients can help slow the progression of their symptoms by following their prescribed treatment regimen closely. Treatment plans for COPD typically include options like medication and supplemental oxygen. It’s vital that you take your medications as often as they’ve been prescribed to get the most benefit from your treatment plan. It’s also important that you ensure your supplies of oxygen and medication are regularly refilled.
- Be Proactive About Your COPD Treatment — You can also help your condition by being proactive with your treatment. This means you should constantly be doing things like improving your knowledge of COPD, its symptoms and the treatments available for it. However, you should always consult your doctor before beginning a new form of treatment.
Lung Health Institute Has Treatment Options Designed to Improve COPD Symptoms
Our Lung Health Institute team is committed to helping COPD patients treat their symptoms. In fact, we offer 2 treatment options that are designed to help with this.
One of these options is our 3 Anti-Inflammatory Initiative™, or the AI2™, plans. The focus of these plans is to help naturally improve the body’s ability to fight back against COPD symptoms. AI2 plans offer lifestyle tips for areas like your diet, sleeping habits, exercise and helpful supplements. All the information in these plans can provide benefits such as boosting your immune system and training your body to use fats as inflammation-fighting fuel.
Another treatment option our health care team offers is cellular therapy. Cellular therapy is a minimally invasive procedure, and it uses concentrated platelets and other cells from your body to target lung disease. These platelets release healing properties that, when combined with proteins, growth factors and other helpful cells, may promote healing in damaged tissue and reduce inﬂammation in your lungs.
Take the next step to find relief. Contact one of our patient coordinators today for more information or to schedule a free consultation.