The official blog of the Lung Institute.
Looking to improve your lung function at your own pace? Here’s:
A Seated Workout from Start to Finish
The Center for Disease Control advises that a healthy adult needs at least two and a half hours of moderate exercise per week in order to meet proper health guidelines, but for those suffering from Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) getting the necessary cardiovascular exercise for each day may seem like an impossible task. Whether it’s a lack of mobility or a lack of energy to hit the gym, for those with COPD, obstacles can come in a variety of forms. However, with these guidelines in mind, the Lung Institute has crafted a workout plan that will improve your lung capacity and oxygen delivery, all from the comfort of your own couch.
Wear Loose Clothes-
This may seem like a no-brainer, but one of the most immediate breathing restrictions comes from tight clothing. Whether starting your routine in the morning or in the evening, throw on some loose fitting clothes; the key is comfort.
As a warm up, be seated on your couch, get comfortable and try these breathing exercises.
The Oriental Breath
- Inhale 3 small breaths through your nose and hold it.
- Inhale again and raise your arms to shoulder level out in front of your body.
- For the next inhale, open your arms wide and on the third inhale, raise your arms overhead.
- When you exhale, circle your arms to their original positions.
- Repeat 10 times.
- Take a deep breath and exhale.
- Inhale again, and picture the number 1 as you concentrate on breathing slowly.
- Inhale slowly as you picture the number 2.
- Hold your breath for 2 seconds and exhale.
- Inhale slowly as you picture the number 3.
- Hold your breath for 3 seconds and exhale.
- Repeat this until you have reached the number 8, then repeat the exercise.
Next, try these physical exercises to get the blood pumping and delivering oxygen to your vital organs.
Chair Jumping Jacks
- Sit up straight on the edge of the couch.
- Swing your arms and legs as though you’re doing standing jumping jacks for 20 repetitions and 3 sets.
- While seated, lift your arms out to your side and paint circles with your hands, keeping your arms straight.
- Start with small circles and slowly make them larger.
- Keep your arms out to your side and count to 15.
- Repeat 10 times.
You’ve earned it so take a breather. From a comfortable position on your couch, sit still and close your eyes; breathe and exhale slowly, counting each breath as you go along. Clear your mind of everything but the numbers you imagine as you count upwards. You are now meditating. Continue this for ten minutes.
Celebrate and Sing
Congratulations, you’re done! So why not celebrate with a song? Singing has been proven to improve lung capacity so take a breather, put on your favorite song and sing along. You’ve earned it.
If you or a loved one suffers from COPD, or any lung disease, the Lung Institute may be able to help with a variety of cellular treatment options. Contact us at 888-745-6697 to find out if you qualify for cellular therapy.
Tried our couch workout plan? Tell us about your experience! Share your thoughts and comments on Improving Your Lungs from the Couch below…