Living with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is difficult because it causes shortness of breath that can make even the simplest of tasks more physically demanding. There is no cure for COPD, but people with the disease can receive treatments that may help reduce the progression and severity of the disease.
Since COPD makes life so challenging, most people who have it actively seek opportunities to improve their breathing. Surprisingly, the answer may lie in the food you eat.
The vitamins, minerals and nutrients found in certain foods can help keep your lungs strong and improve your ability to breathe. One herb that may make a significant impact in the lives of people with COPD is ginger.
How does ginger help people with COPD?
Ginger is a rhizome (similar to a root) that is considered a spice that is used to flavor many foods and help treat many ailments. Ginger is loaded with anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce inflammation in your lungs.
It also helps settle your stomach when it’s upset and can help regulate your blood sugar levels. Plus, this spice is loaded with many vitamins and minerals that your lungs and the rest of your body use to fuel performance.
Other herbs and spices that help people with COPD
- Turmeric — Turmeric contains curcumin, which is a component of the spice that is known to help reduce inflammation in your lungs.
- Garlic — Garlic acts similarly to antibiotics to help fight inflammation and congestion that affect your lungs.
- Thyme — This herb can help relax the muscles in your airways to improve your ability to breathe and clear out mucus.
- Red sage — Red sage has antioxidants that help remove toxins from your blood and protect the inner linings of your blood vessels from damage when oxygen levels are low.
- Ginseng — Ginseng can help improve your ability to breathe and retain energy to participate in physical activity.
- English Ivy — English ivy can help improve your ability to breathe when inflammation is blocking your airways.
Contact the Lung Health Institute for COPD treatment
At the Lung Health Institute, we understand how important diet is for the well-being of your lungs. That’s why we offer people with COPD and other lung diseases our anti-Inflammatory Initiative™ (AI²)™.
This is a diet program for people with inflammatory lung diseases, which is available in three different levels for all types of patients. Contact us today if you would like to learn more about (AI²)™ and other treatments, like lung restoration treatment™, to help you Breathe Easier™.