Pulmonary fibrosis is the development of scar tissue around the tiny air sacs that help transfer oxygen into the bloodstream. This severely inhibits healthy breathing, leading to shortness of breath, aches, fatigue and other problems that can have severe negative consequences for your quality of life.
Options for Pulmonary Fibrosis Relief
Although the tissue damage related to pulmonary fibrosis is not reversible, the good news is that there are effective treatments that can help you manage symptoms and increase your activity level. There are some treatment options available that can potentially restore lost lung functioning, including the cellular therapy we provide at Lung Health Institute.
We believe in patient education as a cornerstone of delivering exceptional care. That’s why we’ve created the following guide to common options for pulmonary fibrosis treatment.
Pulmonary Fibrosis Treatment Methods
If a patient is a cigarette smoker upon initial diagnosis of pulmonary fibrosis, doctors and other medical professionals will strongly urge them to start a cessation program. Other treatments are designed to help manage symptoms and potentially slow down the progression of the condition. These options can include:
- Medications like pirfenidone and nintedanib that are FDA approved and may be able to slow down the development of tissue damage
- Steroidal medication to reduce inflammation in the lungs
- Supplemental oxygen to help with sleep and physical activity
- Pulmonary rehabilitation, including therapeutic breathing exercises
In some cases, lung transplant surgery may be recommended, but this is typically a treatment of last resort.
Regenerative Treatment at Lung Health Institute
At Lung Health Institute, we treat progressive lung conditions like pulmonary fibrosis in the following ways:
- Cellular therapy — We use a platelet-rich plasma-platelet concentrate (PRP-PC) created from a sample of the patient’s own blood. These concentrated cells are then returned into the bloodstream. The goal of this treatment is to reduce inflammation and restore lung function.
- Anti-Inflammatory Initiative™ (AI²™) — These custom-tailored wellness and nutrition plans can help you take charge of your health with breathing exercises and nutritional options that are designed to reduce inflammation.
Take the next step to find relief. Contact one of our patient coordinators today for more information or to schedule a free consultation.