The official blog of the Lung Institute.
“A mother is a person who, seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie.”
Did you know that more phone calls are made on Mother’s Day than any other day of the year? Our mothers are obviously very important to us, and Mother’s Day is the day to make sure that mom knows how much we care.
Mothers are naturally dedicated to their children, and Mother’s Day was officially started in the U.S. by Anna Jarvis, who wanted to recognize and honor the sacrifices that mothers make for their children. Sometimes picking out the perfect gift can be difficult, especially when mom is suffering from COPD. We have compiled a list of the top 10 Mother’s Day gifts for moms with COPD:
- Meditation CD: The Mayo Clinic wrote an article about how one researcher is helping COPD patients breathe easier and reducing the duration of their time spent in the hospital through mindfulness and meditation.
- Workout DVD: A workout DVD specifically designed for people with COPD can help mom stay healthy and active. Working out can also help improve oxygen flow.
- Spa Gift Basket: Often times it is very difficult for people with COPD to leave the house, however, moms still love to be pampered. Give mom the gift of relaxation with a spa gift basket so she can indulge from home. Lavender is a great choice because it is often used to help suppress coughing.
- Movie Night Gift Box: Even going out to the movies can be tough when you have COPD – so bring the movies to mom with this movie night gift box, complete with Redbox rental, candy and popcorn!
- Finger Pulse Oximeter: An oximeter measures the percentage of oxygen in your blood along with your pulse rate and can help mom detect potential problems early.
- Peppermint Essential Oil & Diffuser: Peppermint helps to clear the air passageways and might help mom breathe easier. One COPD sufferer swears by this essential oil combination: 3 drops thyme, 3 drops rosemary, 2 drops peppermint & 2 drops lemon.
- COPD Awareness Bracelet: This bracelet has the words “be brave” etched in it to remind mom of her inner strength. Even better, $10 from each purchase is donated to raising COPD Awareness.
- Housekeeping Service for a Day: Keeping up the house can be especially difficult for someone with COPD. Let mom relax and put her feet up by hiring a housekeeper for a day.
- MedGift: Give financial, physical or emotional support to mom via MedGift, a site that helps keep everything organized and in one place. This is a great way to give back to mom all year round.
- Donate Toward Treatment: Of course the greatest gift is the gift of health. There is a new treatment available that uses stem cell therapy to promote healing. Help mom breathe easier by donating to this treatment for her.
Please comment below if you have any gift ideas that you’d like to share.